Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's in the box Wednesday?

The girls choose a few days each month to eat in the school cafeteria and today was one of those days for Caroline. Addie's Lunchbot has an egg salad sandwich on flower shaped whole wheat bread (I used a cutter), "fancy" (as Addie calls them) cucumbers, yellow tomatoes, blackberries, and a pepper jack cheese stick (this kid is all about spicy stuff). 
I have made a lot of egg salad in my life, but I've never measured the ingredients.  I've had people ask me how I make it so I thought I'd try measuring this time to get a recipe.  Ha!  Let's just say I should stick to NOT measuring on this one.  Little heavy on the salt.  To chop the eggs, I like to use my pastry cutter, pictured above.  The other tool is the crinkle cutter I used on the cucumbers.  It just adds a little fun and fancy to the lunch.

Egg Salad

2 hard-boiled eggs
3 tablespoons Hellmann's Mayo (if you like the tangy zip of Miracle Whip, then by all means...)
1/2 tsp mustard
salt and pepper to taste (I won't be using the measuring spoons on this anymore! Ha!)

Chop the eggs and mix in the other ingredients.

This amount makes enough for 2 or 3 sandwiches.

Do you know how to get the perfect hard-boiled egg?  Put your eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and set to boil.  As soon as they start to boil, remove them from the heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.  Then dump out the water and run cold water over them a minute or two to get them to stop cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment