Thursday, September 27, 2012

Our Favorite Lasagna

Several years ago Mike saw this recipe on a Martha Stewart Everyday Food show and asked if I would try it.  I've been making it ever since.  We've found we like it much more than the traditional lasagna with either cottage cheese or ricotta.  I generally use Johnsonville Italian sausage, but this time I used some Italian Style ground turkey I found at the store.  I also substituted crushed tomatoes instead of whole because that's what I had in the pantry.  And lastly, I've been trying to use whole grain pastas lately, so I went with that for the noodles.  All that being said, the original recipe is outstanding, but I didn't receive any complaints last night with my changes either.  And you don't have to cook the noodles!

Tomato Sausage Lasagna

12 dried lasagna noodles (about 10 oz) I used whole grain this time
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
1 lb ground Italian sausage, I used Italian style ground turkey
2 cans (28 oz each) whole peeled tomatoes in puree, I used crushed tomatoes
Coarse ground salt and pepper
6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I didn't have quite this much and it turned out fine)
3/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese

1.  Fill a 9 x 13 baking dish 2/3 of the way with hot water.  Add noodles and let soak while preparing sauce.

2.  Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium.  Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.  Add meat, and cook, stirring and breaking it up, until just cooked through.  Add tomatoes, breaking them up; bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

3.  Preheat oven to 350.  Drain noodles and transfer to a baking sheet.  Spoon 1 cup sauce in bottom of dish.  Put 4 noodles on top of sauce.  Cover with 2 cups of sauce, 2 cups mozarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan.  Repeat with another layer, then top with remaining noodles, 3 cups sauce, and the rest of the cheeses.  Cover dish lightly with foil and bake 1 hour.

4.  Remove foil, and continue baking until bubbly and browned, about 30 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Let cool and serve.

As usual, my little shadow wanted to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment