Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What's in the box Wednesday




Addie's lunch has half an avocado, pop chips, a mixture of smokehouse style and low sodium almonds, and a smoothie.  She LOVES avocado and I read a tip somewhere recently of using lemon slices to keep them from turning brown in a lunchbox.  I didn't have lemons, so I used limes.  The smoothie is in the green tube on the right.  I read about this idea at 100 Days of Real Food.  I actually found these Silicone Ice Pop Makers at Ozark Natural Foods.  I made a smoothie similar to what she suggests on her website with non-fat Greek yogurt, a frozen berry mix, banana, and spinach.  Then I poured them into the molds, froze overnight, and placed them in the lunchbox.  By lunch time, they will be thawed back to smoothie consistency.  I tested it yesterday before trying in the lunchbox today, and it worked fine.  Here's a picture of the box of molds I found at ONF.



Caroline's lunch has "Triscuit sandwiches" with ham and cheese, the other half of Addie's bag of pop chips, and grapes.  I will have to adjust the smoothie recipe before I put it in her lunchbox.  She's not a fan of the tangy taste of Greek yogurt, and I put quite a bit in this batch.  Addie liked it, but I was pretty sure Caroline wouldn't have and I didn't want spilled smoothie all over the inside of the lunch bag.  I wasn't really happy with the lack of color in her lunchbox today, but once I get the smoothie recipe worked out, I'll be able to hide that spinach in there!


*AFTER SCHOOL UPDATE*  The pop maker lid came off before lunch and the smoothie got all over the inside of the lunchbag. :(  Luckily, the Lunchbot kept the rest of her lunch safe.  I will try again tomorrow with a rubber band holding the lid on longways and we'll see.  I'm really glad that I didn't put one in Caroline's lunch yet!

*NEXT DAY UPDATE*  I used the rubber band and placed the pop maker in a baggie and the lid did not come off!  Success!

3 comments:

  1. Love the new blog colors! Pretty! And I love the idea of making your own smoothies. Much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your blog - great pictures too!! Im inspired to try healthier options in my kids lunch boxes!! Thanks for including recipedoodle on your site, I was really excited to see it there (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Ceri! I love your blog as well! You have great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete