Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Fitbit Fanatic

I confess.  I'm a Fitbit fanatic.  A few months ago, I decided I wanted to start making sure I was getting 10,000 daily steps.  I researched a few pedometers and settled on the Fitbit.  We have literally been attached at the hip, and sometimes bra, since then.  It goes everywhere with me and tracks my daily activity.  If I forget, and leave it at home, I will turn the car around to retrieve it.  Usually to whines of "Uggghhhh, not the Fitbit again!" from the backseat.  There have been a couple of times that I have driven to a local park or trail to run and didn't remember until I got there that I'd left it.  And I feel like it's all in vain because those steps are not being recorded.  Isn't that crazy?  But, it has kept me on track with my exercise.  I love scrolling through the the little screen during the day to check my steps taken, calories burned, floors/stairs climbed, miles traveled, and flower growth.  Yes, I said flower growth.  One screen sports a little flower that continues to grow if you stay active.  Caroline loves to check it during the day to see how tall it is. Since it is early in the day and I've only traveled around the kitchen, it is just a sprout right now.



This handy little gadget also came with a wristband for wearing it when you sleep. It monitors how restful you are sleeping by how much movement you make.  I was pretty much getting 99% sleep efficiency every night, so I don't track that anymore.  Mine just takes a break on the nightstand.  And in the morning, when I pick it up, it says things like Move it, Burn it, Howdy, Love Ya, and other cute motivating sentiments.  


If you want to track your food, you can do so on the Fitbit website.  I use MyFitnessPal for that, and guess what, it integrates with Fitbit.  So, if I forget to record my activity in MyFitnessPal, Fitbit will do it for me.  I just love this little motivator.  It was really an eye opener.  On days that I work and spend most of the day at the computer, I usually only get around 2,500 steps.  It makes me want to get out in the evening and at least take a walk around the neighborhood to get some exercise in.  It has paid off because I've lost some weight and inches and I feel better.  So, get a pedometer. I bet you'll be surprised at your steps.  Well, gotta get moving.  My Fitbit dashboard says I've only walked 32% of my 70,000 weekly steps.


1 comment: