Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Laundry Love


It's 3:30, I have been doing laundry all day, and my laundry room still looks like this.  Before I was even halfway coherent this morning, Addie was knocking on my door.  "I don't have any pants", she said.  We all know laundry is never ending.  There is never really any satisfaction of a job completed when it comes to laundry.  As soon as you think you're done, someone changes clothes.  Between piles of laundry and piles of paper (the other thing that seems to be never ending with mail and stuff carried home in backpacks), a person could go crazy.  I just have to remember to be thankful that I have a washer and dryer and I'm not having to cart it all to a laundromat.  Have you ever thought of what people do who don't have this luxury and can't afford the laundromat either?  My playgroup organizer Kara, found a group called Laundry Love.  Here is what she posted about it on our playgroup meetup site.

"For those living below the poverty line, washing clothes presents both a logistical problem and a financial hardship. From a conversation with a local homeless friend who conveyed this basic need, the Laundry Love Project™ (LLP) was birthed. Laundry Love Projects partner with local laundromats in cleaning the clothes of those living in shelters, motels, cars, garages and on the streets. It is our mission to take laundromats and convert them into hubs of relief, granting reprieve to those living in oppressive poverty."

Volunteers distribute quarters, hand out detergent & make sure dryers & washers are emptied promptly for the next person to use. They are also in need of a volunteer to do a craft with the kids, or anything that will entertain the kids while the parents do their laundry."

Web: http://www.cobblestoneproject.org/initiatives/laundry-love/

I've signed up to volunteer the next time our playgroup goes to Laundry Love.  Maybe it will help me realize just what a blessing it is to have laundry day around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment