Thursday, January 31, 2013

Peanut Free Puppy Chow


Poor, peanut butter passionate Addie pined for puppy chow.  (Try to say that 5 times fast).   So she set out to make a peanut free version due to Caroline's allergy.  It turned out fantastic!  Now, I'm coming off of a three week cleanse so pretty much EVERYTHING tastes good to me right now, but everyone else in the house was eating it like crazy too so I'm taking that as confirmation of it's goodness.  Addie used a basic recipe on the back of a cereal box and substituted the peanut butter with this handy dandy product.


This is the best tasting peanut butter substitute (or "fake peanut butter" as we call it) I have found.  Besides the taste, other positives are that it contains non-GMO soy and is made in a 100% peanut, nut, gluten, and dairy free facility.  This is the creamy version, but a crunchy one is available as well.  I tried to get some photos of Addie in action but as usual, I didn't get much cooperation.


And I had a couple of photo bombers.


It was a fun family night in the kitchen experimenting with a new twist on an old snack.  I had to remove myself from the room after it was made though.  It was so good and I didn't want to totally sabotage my cleansing efforts!

Peanut Free Puppy Chow (adapted from the back of a cereal box)

9 cups Toasted Rice squares cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Wowbutter
1/4 cup real butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Measure out the cereal and set aside.  In a 1 qt microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, Wowbutter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir.  Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour this mixture over the cereal and stir.  Pour all into a large resealable plastic bag, add powdered sugar, seal, and shake until coated.  Spread out to cool.  (We really didn't do this, everyone was too impatient and started eating it immediately.)  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator (if you have any left!).





No comments:

Post a Comment