Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's in the Box Wednesday?


Today for Caroline's lunch I tried another idea from the Cooking with Trader Joe's - EasyLunchboxes cookbook.  These are "Olive-er Twists" with pizza sauce for dipping, mandarin oranges, and a cheddar Babybel with a heart cut out.  Since I'm not eating gluten and dairy currently, I didn't try a twist, but they smelled delicious while cooking.  Addie is eating school food today, but she tried one for breakfast and gave them a thumbs up.  I adapted the recipe a little and didn't use as much cheese or Italian seasoning.  Happy Wednesday!

Olive-er Twists

1 8 oz can refrigerated crescent rolls (I used reduced fat)
2 1/2 tbls canned chopped black olives
Up to 2 tbls extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I didn't measure this, I just sprinkled it on)
1/8 tsp sea salt (again, I didn't measure, I just used my sea salt grinder and sprinkled it on)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine olives, 2 tsp olive oil, cheese, and Italian seasoning.

Unroll the crescent dough and divide in two width wise.  Spread the olive mixture on one half.  Cut both halves into 6 1-inch strips.  Place 1 plain dough strip over each olive covered strip, pinch the edges, and twist slightly.  I had a little trouble here.  The picture in the book doesn't have olives showing on the outside.  I couldn't get it pinched enough to keep the filling from coming out a little.  However, I think I like the look of how they came out anyway.  Place on parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet.

Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.  The original recipe calls for sprinkling with additional cheese and Italian seasoning as well.  Since my filling came through a little, I thought that was good enough.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment