Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day

This has been a festive week.  First Fat Tuesday, now Valentine's Day.  It was such a nice day.  I went to Caroline's class party, had lunch with Mike at Kobe, and made a nice dinner for the family at home including Quiche and Cake both in the shape of a heart.  This was my first time to make Red Velvet Cake from scratch.  My Mom is the one who usually makes it.  It turned out delicious.  The recipe is at the bottom!

I found the cute idea for Caroline's Valentine's here.  I don't have a Cricut, so I bought the mustaches here.




Minute to Win It M&M game





Pass the tissue paper heart game

Opening Valentines


Friends
Festive table

Cake and Quiche






Waldorf Astoria Red Cake (adapted from my OLD church cookbook!)

Cake
1/2 c butter flavored Crisco
1 1/2 c sugar
1 (2 oz) bottle red food coloring (1/4 c)
2 Tbsp cocoa (heaping)
1 c buttermilk
2 1/4 c cake flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 eggs

Frosting
3 Tbsp flour
1 c milk
1 c sugar, granulated (not powdered, this threw me off and I had to call mom to confirm, but it works!)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c butter

Cream Crisco, sugar, and eggs.  Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa.  Add to creamed mixture.  Add buttermilk alternately with sifted flour and salt.  Add vanilla.  Add soda to vinegar (but hold over bowl as it foams).  Then add to creamed mixture, blending instead of beating.  Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees in 2 8 inch greased and floured cake pans.  Cool on rack.  Split each layer in two and frost.

For Frosting, cook flour and milk until very thick, stirring constantly.  Cool.  Cream sugar and butter plus vanilla until very fluffy.  Add to first mixture, which has cooled.  Mix until well blended.  Should be consistency of whipped cream.

This cake is best made a day or two before serving.  It gets better upon sitting!  Also, I like to cool my cakes in the pan for 10 minutes then remove them to parchment paper and put straight in the freezer until I'm ready to frost.


No comments:

Post a Comment